Wednesday, February 8, 2012

When your boss is a cat


My boss is a cat. No two ways about that.


 His rotund profile is the first thing I see when I open my eyes each morning.



"Get to work. We haven't got all day."


Sometimes I get mixed messages from the boss.
"Am I keeping you from working? Oh, is this your desk?"


At break time I try to get some air.
I hang out with the rank and file
to get away from his micromanaging.


But it's impossible to shake him. He's always somewhere watching.


He watches the clock. He gives you a look.


The look that says, "If you're one minute late, I'll dock you."


I really think he's not too happy with himself. He had dreams, you know,
but they were clouds in his coffee. Clouds in his coffee.




When he was an outdoor cat he wanted to come indoors.
Now that he's indoors, he longs for the outdoor days.
The conflicting desires make him unpredictable. Just like people.


He spends long hours chasing his dreams.
It's hard to get a signature from him at times like these.
Calls are unreturned. Clients are kept waiting.


Just when you feel empowered by 
making an executive decision,
he lets you know who's the boss.


The one good thing about having a cat as your boss is
getting instant, honest feedback. A purr is never withheld.
Loving licks are sheer heaven.
A swipe with the claws not quite retracted is
the universal gesture meaning "No!"
And just think: It's perfectly acceptable
to sleep with the boss.


P.S. If you have neither a boss nor a cat, take this as an allegory. Maybe your boss is the little voice inside your head who cracks the whip. And because the boss does send mixed messages sometimes, there's that other little voice that whispers,
"Just take five minutes to check Facebook." And then five hours go by.


23 comments:

  1. Loved this! Of course in my world peopled with dog lovers, I'd substitute TOP DOG in the lead role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the alpha dog submits to his human master, though. A cat is his own boss, and everyone else's besides. But since you've never lived with a cat, I may just have to let you hold onto your assumption, hehe.

      Delete
  2. Cute! Great pictures of a beautiful cat (even if he is a little bossy!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We put up with a lot more from beautiful creatures than we're willing to allow from less physically gifted ones, don't we? Lookism is alive and well. : )

      Delete
  3. This will be my favorite ! Love the cat pictures. I used to have a cat boss but he passed away. I miss him, but, I am free now.. .until I get another boss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love endures. Pugsley will be there waiting when you shed this earthly shell.

      Delete
  4. Cats do rule, and they're masters of those mixed messages, but what wonderful comfort they often give us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. You got me! I figure this would be better than another long silence from being inundated with the demands of an offline life. I promise to come over and play when my "chores" are done.

      Delete
  6. Oh, you have got to check out my blog post on my Kitty Arlo posted in August, here

    http://artsings1946.blogspot.com/2011/08/oh-how-i-love-my-arlo-cat.html

    I mean, are they twins or what? I love my Arlo ... I mean really, really love him. He is our tub of love (not because he's fat...he's just big).

    I really enjoyed this post.

    Happiness to ALL !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left you a comment on that particular post, ArtSings! Thanks for following. Arlo's a lovey.

      Delete
  7. He's an actor in a home office, Andrew.

    Wait...is that you, my newish follower via Google Friend Connect? Same exclamation point avatar. YOU'RE The Old Geezer Blog? Can't be. But what a hoot if you are, because you're about four decades from being a geezer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. But is he worthy of window sill display in France, Julie? ;)

      Delete
  9. "Just take five minutes to check Facebook." And then five hours go by"
    Isn't that the truth! LOL!

    What a beautifully bossy cat you have ordering you around!
    We are actually looking to adopt a cat, just looking for the right fit for us, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Wishing you years of happiness together once you've found found the right one.

      Delete
  10. I have to be honest. I'm not a cat person. Actually, I'm not an animal person, period. But I must say, your 'boss' looks adorable and I can understand why sleeping with the boss is an irresistible thought. Good thing you don't have allergies though, otherwise, it would be a nightmare! What a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I count it a blessing I didn't know to ask for that I don't have allergies. Otherwise I might've missed out on so much!

      Delete
  11. how absolutely adorable!!!!! that's a horrible story about the bb gun and so glad your boss is okay.

    thanks for checking out my blog and glad you enjoyed my photos

    nancy
    www.petcollage.net
    www.petpooparazzi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Oh, Connie, I can't believe I'm just now seeing your comment. And after what just happened...

      Delete