The Upcyclers team on etsy.com, to which I belong as a committed scrap crafter, challenged us to come up with something made of toilet paper tubes. For months I've saved them, but I couldn't settle on a design. There were so many great ideas online!
Then I downgraded the dream somewhat and thought I'd make panels like these for an iron lamp I've had in the garage for years. I might yet do that.
It took a deadline to get me off the fence. (Spoiler alert: I missed the etsy team deadline. I was busy practicing headstands at yoga teacher training this weekend.)
Last month the challenge was to upcycle a necktie. I took a blue and green necktie and handsewed it into a mermaid necklace, which took second place and earned my etsy shop, Swoosh by Scrollwork, a spot on the sidebar of the team's blog for a month. It looks like this.
|I didn't have the patience to peel off the|
clingy bits of toilet paper.
Then I glued together four loops at a time. The inspiration pictures above have five and six loops, respectively, but I was being a lazy bum about it. I ended up making 15 "stars".
Turns out four-looped thingamajigs look like a spirograph when stacked. I might make this the starting point of another project.
|Prototype for next project resting atop hopelessly inaccurate scale.|
|More paint on the work surface than on the project|
Here's what else I found in the dungeon to use:
- A roll of blue tulle
- A roll of shimmery sheer nylon seafoam ribbon, 5/8 inch wide
- A skein of bumpy yarn in seafoam, chartreuse and yellow
- The selvage of a sheer white drapery panel that I had ripped into strips for another project last week. It had a nice feathery edge. 94 inches long, approx.
- The hem of a sheer blue chiffon curtain, which I had also ripped up. 58 inches long, approx.
I cut the tulle, ribbon and yarn slightly longer than the selvage and hem. With short lengths of ribbon, I tied them all together at the center and at four more points about six inches apart.
Using more of the ribbon, I tied the loops of toilet paper tubes in bunches of three. You can see in succeeding pictures how these were done. At opposite ends and in the middle, they're in a vertical row. At the other two points, they're in triangles.
I could see this as a valance, where the shimmery fabric would cast a suncatcher spell.
It would also be lovely strung across a child's four-poster bed.
Quite by accident, I found it also acts like an indoor windsock, creating a cooling visual effect on a warm California afternoon. There's something carefree and casual about it.
Behind the scenes, though, I wasn't the picture of serenity creating it.
Outtake from the photo shoot. Ouch-take. But I'll live.